Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pixar Retrospective: "Toy Story 3"

"Toy Story 3"
Starring: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen
Directed by: Lee Unkrich

"Toy Story 3" still wins for best pixar movie to date, after my fourth viewing. It's such a solid film, taking characters we love to new heights, having them face not only their worst fears, but even worse, and in the end, grows up with the audience it was first introduced to. If you asked me which pixar films are most like art, I'd say "WALL-E" and "Up," for the reasons previously described in those retrospective reviews. "Toy Story 3" is still mature in its themes, dealing with separation, acceptance, moving on, and facing one's own mortality. Those are pretty heavy themes for a movie targeted towards a younger demographic.

When I first saw TS3, I was accompanied by many young adults and others my age. We are the generation that grew up watching the first film. I was 10 when it came out, and before "WALL-E," I believe it's the only pixar film I saw theatrically. It didn't have as big an impact me on disney's other giant, "The Lion King," which I continue to enjoy today. The "Toy Story" characters grew on me. Their earnestnest, honesty, and simple desire to just be played with. The second film ended on a subtly melancholy note; Andy is going to grow up, and the toys will be faced with their fears of never being played with.

As TS3 opens, we enter Andy's imaginary play world, and it was a beautifully animated, creative opening. Then, we see Andy grow up, and then we see the toys doing a last ditch effort just to see him again. Poor Rex was so happy just to be held by Andy. Consequently, the toys realized the day had come when Andy grew up; even the army men called their mission complete and departed. After a serious of misadventures, Woody lands up with a nice young girl name Bonnie, and the other toys find themselves abused by younglings at Sunnyside, under the care of Lotso, a gentle-on-the-outside but evil-on-the-inside bear. Maybe not so much evil, but turned mean and depressed due to abandonment issues. The rest of the film has some stellar scenes, such as a well-organized escape from the day care.

When the toys end up facing their own morality, it's chillingly sad. You can see the initial hesitation and despair, then defeat, understanding, and finally, acceptance in their eyes. All done in a matter of a minute or two, without a word spoken, and solely through facial expressions. One of the most artistic and beautiful scenes in a film I've ever seen. This single scene is pixar's best, I think. The montage from "Up" was just as heartwarming, but we have an established history with these characters for over a decade, so their apparent demise is much more meaningful. At least, it was and is to me.

The final scene was also beautiful, and one I totally relate to. Andy realizes it's time to grow up, and he gives up his toys for a better cause. The kid in him still exists, as he plays with Bonnie. But he knows that this chapter in his life is over. When he gives up Woody, it's like he finally became an adult. I totally relate to this scene; the movie came at a point in my life where I feel the same type of struggle.

The end credits was also wonderful. Seeing the toys at the day care working in cooperation, and having fun together, was a nice comparison to the enmity our toys endured. And then, saying good-bye to our characters with a nice "You've Got A Friend In Me" in Spanish was a nice touch. And Randy Newman's oscar-winning song, "We Belong Together," also seemed very fitting.

All in all, I still think it's arguably pixar's finest work, and proof that done right and done well, sequels can surpass their originals thematically and narratively. It's unfortunate that pixar's follow-up was a wholly unnecessary sequel, "Cars 2." Still a fine film, but not near the beauty of TS3.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home