Friday, May 04, 2012

The Marathon Begins

Finally, after a nice night in the CCU with no admissions and about 3 hours of odd sleep sitting with my head on a table or a chair, I'm ready to begin my marvel marathon in preparation for tomorrow! I made a video montage of the five marvel movies to date, those from the cinematic continuity that is, set to the theme from the first IM film. Watching it, and seeing the last scene I put in with the avengers gathered, I'm still amazed that it all came together. For better or worse tomorrow, it's still commendable that marvel put all these characters together after successfully navigating the box office for each of them. I'm so excited, but also very excited just to experience the marvel movies again, in HD, sitting on my bed, iPad next to me. I've seriously been waiting since IM for "The Avengers," but even moreso since last year. I even tried to set my vacation so 5/4/12 would be off, but alas I got stuck on CCU nights, and wasn't able to switch out to check out the midnight show. But I think it's for the best. Sure, it's nice to see it at midnight, but it wold probably have been me and maybe one other person. Now, I get to do my marathon, and see it with my cousin and a variety of friends from high school and college. I really can't wait, and I'm glad I'm seeing it with family and friends. There's something to be said for that.

I also find it a bit annoying how everyone is excited for the film. I admit I jumped on the bandwagon with IM, but I've been a sort of lifelong superhero fan. I didn't read the comics, but I watched the TV shows, which were largely derived from the original stories. As such, I feel I have an appreciation for superheroes that the general public doesn't. To them, I feel this is just like another blockbuster, "Transformers" with superheroes. But still, I hope it gets a lot of box office revenue, because it'll pave the way hopefully for more films.

Let the marathon begin! Four years in the making, I really hope tomorrow will be epic modern movie making meets comics book at its best. People may criticize the marvel movies for being comedic, for being light, but they're not. There are dark themes, like in IM and TIH. Sure, there's light moments, but after actually reading comics, you can see its true to the nature of these comics. Is not batman, where Nolan's work is in line with the tone of some batman works. But a lot of marvel is funny at times, serious at times, complex at times, and simple at times. Like life. Raimi's "Spider-Man" series was almost like a comic book come to life, especially the first. The new one looks so untrue to the feeling of the character, I feel it's too Nolan-esque for the wrong reasons. But that's a discussion for another time. Time to watch some movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home