Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Blu-Ray Review: "The Avengers"

This is arguably the best superhero film ever made. The strengths of this film so vastly outdo many others in this growing film genre, and it should be an example of how to correctly translate a comic book into a film. Of course, the much lauded Nolan Batman trilogy captured the spirit of Batman and the dark, brooding nature of the source material and graphic novels like Year One. But in terms of taking a long-standing comic book, capturing the light-hearted spirit yet deeper tone behind it, Avengers takes the cake.

What makes this movie so good? It's fun to watch, it's like Star Wars in that it's just a pleasure to watch. Over and over again. This is my fifth time seeing it, and it was so enjoyable. But the strength was the way the narrative was weaved through various action sequences and plot points. Sure, there was geek service, like the battles between the heroes. Who doesn't want to see the various team members face off against each other? But there's a deeper element that Whedon weaved into this. It's all about building the team. This isn't the silver age, where teams just form without any issues. We've had five movies to get to know these characters. They have their own agendas, their own egos, and their own expectations. This film is about how a team of disparate individuals can form a cohesive whole. How they learn to sacrifice and compromise to work together, like a marriage. And that's what forms the core of this film.

Just because we don't have Batman and Gordon sitting and talking about a mind-provoking issue for a few minutes, doesn't mean this movie doesn't bring up some good, philosophical points. The biggest one, I think, was brought up by loki, who came to free people from freedom. And you know what? I think he's right, to an extent. We have freedom in the US, but are we really free? We can go out, do what we want, eat where we want, date who we want. But, then, why are people so bound by society? Why do we care what people think, and let that shape our actions? Why is depression so prevalent, and why do people always complain? Because we aren't really free. We are bound by other forces, whether it be parental expectation, society's rules, or religious obligations.

As a revert, I think I understand how having less freedom makes life easier. I chose to follow the guidance and rules of a religion, and as such, I feel I have more structure in life, and life has a meaning. There's a source for answers, a meaning to life, and a goal to aspire to. I have freedom to do what I want, but your freedom come with a price if it goes against the religion. I don't follow everything, and have a long ways to go, but the parts I do follow really make my life liveable. And maybe that's why everyone should aspire to religion; it gives meaning, structure, and frees you from the confines of "freedom."

See? I took one line, which some may have thrown away, and turned it into a point of discussion. I think there were other lines like this in the film, which I wish I wrote down. Another excuse to watch it again! But this film is so good on so many different levels. Definitely one of my favorite films, maybe in my top 5. I heard some of the commentary, for scenes I wanted some clarification on, like how thor escaped the glass cage. Sadly, no mention of that. Seems like relatively lame commentary, but maybe I'll check it out at some point. Let phase 2 begin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home