Thursday, February 07, 2013

Oscar Watch: "Moonrise Kingdom"

Moonrise Kingdom
Nominated for: Best Original Screenplay

Moonrise Kingdom feels like Wes Anderson from the start. The narrative style, the framing, the oddly incongruent elements that somehow from some sort of whole. It's what makes this movie unique. Like that odd poem that tickles your mind a bit. This movie is a bit odd, a bit eccentric, but in the end, rather heartfelt. The acting was decent enough, but nothing spectacular. Part of that is due to Anderson's characters, who aren't particularly realistic, because they live in this surreal sort of world. The writing was unique, and it sort of carried the story along. I liked the editing a lot, as well. It really helped tell the story. Overall the writing was decent, but the narrative structure was unique, and I think it's a decent nomination. Call me biased, but I still think Skyfall or The Avengers should've been considered in these kinds of categories as well, for what they accomplished. But AMPAS does what it does, and that's the fun of the game, seeing what they're up to. And with this, I've completed all the majors for, I believe, the first time: director, picture, acting, supporting acting, and both screenplays! Nice. One day, I aspire to see every film in every category!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home