Friday, June 18, 2010

A Toy's Final Story

They say the third film in a franchise often blows. Based on the evidence over the last few years, that seems true. Pixar, however, proved today that all you need to make a successful sequel is good writing, care for your characters, and a healthy dose of heart.

The line for Toy Story 3 went outside the theater, and most of the people in it were my peers. This was a sign that Toy Story 3 wasn't to be the typical pixar movie, but one that attracted people who grew up with Woody, Buzz, and the gang since their own childhood. I saw the first Toy Story in theaters when it came out back in 1995. It must not have made enough of a lasting impression, since I didn't see the sequel in theaters. However, I rewatched both movies before seeing this one, and I honestly think this one is not only my favorite, but arguably the best one as well.

Almost every pixar movie makes me feel like a kid again. But I think this is the first that actually makes me want to be a kid again. I miss those days where the simplest pleasure was playing around with your toys. When the biggest stress was which disasterly scenario your toys found themselves in next. The opening to Toy Story 3 captured this aspect of a child's imagination wonderfully.

Pixar's films are considered by some to be children's movies, but this one in particular had themes only adults could understand fully. Growing up, moving on with life, and not being as important as you once were are things that are beyond a child's understand. However, I felt I really could relate, and people older than me may relate even more. It's nice how people who were so young when the first two came out are now somewhere around Andy's age, and able to relate to these new issues. It's sort of like how the readers of Harry Potter matured as the books grew darker.

The plot here was the strongest of the three, and also the most creative, I think. I won't go into details, but it did introduce us to a slew of memorable characters: Mr. Prickepants, Lotso Huggin Bear, the clapping monkey, Ken, and more. My favorite was Mr. Pricklepants, voiced by James Bland himself, Timothy Dalton. The only problem with these new characters is that we only had one movie to enjoy them in. The plot was at times exciting, at times humorous, and at times emotional. Pixar managed to mix all these together into yet another instant classic.

The 3D here was well done. Despite all the hype for the 3D in Avatar, I felt it was much better used here. It complemented the story well, and I really felt like it advanced the story, not simply used as a gimmick. Avatar also used its 3D in this manner, but something just felt more realistic overall here.

And you know how Pixar has a short before every feature length film? This short, called Day and Night, was a touching blend of classic and modern animation, and was thoroughly enjoyable. Add another one to Pixar's already classic list of shorts.

The ending was poignant and a fitting ending to this trilogy. It was sort of like the end of The Lord of the Rings, but we pretty much knew that good times lay ahead. I don't know how else to describe how I felt about this film, except that I truly just wanted to go back to being a kid. I can't wait to watch this movie again. Pixar's 11 for 11 now!

I want to see another Toy Story movie. It's just so much fun, and so creative. But, as this movie teachees us, all good things must come to an end. It's been a fun ride, Woody and Buzz and you all. I hope these movies go on to entertain generations to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home