Saturday, May 01, 2010

Doctor Who Series 5, Episode 5: "Flesh and Stone"

Pandorica! If there's one major problem with this episode, it's that it leaves us hanging for the next few weeks, until we can see the return of River Song once again. Steven Moffat has written the best episode of the season, and one of the best in the current series of Doctor Who. At the end of last week, we figured this two-parter is a story about the weeping angels and River Song. However, this was turned around completely with Flesh and Stone.

So, when we left off last week, the doctor, Amy, River, and the rest were being trapped by the angels. Now, I don't usually get scared by things in sci-fi movies, and I wasn't scared of the weeping angels.
But rarely do I really see why the enemies in sci-fi are scary. Like the Borgs. Sure, they can assimilate you and stuff, but I just didn't feel that they were too terrifying. Same for the daleks. I finally get now that they're mostly dangerous because they have no conscience, no morals. But they just look rather silly. But the weeping angels, they're probably so freaky because they're based on something in real life. I feel like they're such a creative villain, they would've done very well in their own hollywood franchise, but I'm glad they're here with Doctor Who. And seeing them actually move was a treat!

Back to the episode. So that menacing crack in the wall finally returned. I didn't say this previously, but I thought that the crack had something to do with Amy. It seemed somewhat silly to have that crack appear at the end of the 2nd and 3rd episodes, but I feel the reason is because Amy (or the doctor) was there. Plus, the crack originated in Amy's room, at least from the viewer's perspective. Today, the doctor also seemed to think something was up with Amy. And that scene at the end? Kind of odd, although I'd say the doctor's missing out.

And River Song. Who did she kill? We're meant to think she killed the doctor. But I'm starting to think there's someone else we don't know about yet. First off, her truly killing the doctor doesn't make sense, because it's the presumably older version of the doctor who gave River his screwdriver in Silence in the Library. Also, River said in The Time of Angels that she learned to pilot the TARDIS from the best, and the implication was that it wasn't the doctor. So is there someone else in the picture? And why did she kill him? Who and what is she? And even more important, how long do we have to wait to find out?

We know River is returning in the season finale. But I have a feeling Moffat doesn't want this River Song storyline to just end quickly. I was hoping that we wouldn't get any new information about the River-Doctor story in Flesh and Blood, so I was pleased that we did. But this only serves to make things more mysterious! Can the doctor really trust River?

And what's behind this time thing? It served as a nifty way to end the weeping angels (for now). But, this episode wasn't really about them anyway, was it? Again, I feel like Amy is linked to the time thing, which was basically confirmed. But why?

I really like how Moffat is shaping this arc throughout the entire season, instead of having each episode more of a standalone. Even the episodes that were more standalone-ish tie into the arc. Like in Victory of the Daleks, we see that Amy doesn't remember the dalek invasion of Earth. Or in The Beast Below, we focused a little bit on Amy's marriage, not realizing at the time the implications it could have with this whole time crack.

While I'm still excited about the upcoming episodes a bit, I really want to fast forward to the finale and the return of River Song (again). Moffat's season is shaping into what I hoped it would be, and more. And as for Matt Smith, I really find his doctor fascinating to watch. I don't know if he'll ever be my favorite doctor, but he may very well be my favorite one to watch.

On the AICN talkback for the episode, I saw a very interesting theory. At around 17:30 in the episode, the doctor leaves Amy in the forest and goes with River. Of course, his jacket was left behind when the angels caught him. However, a few seconds later the doctor's back, with a jacket, telling Amy to remember what he told her when she was seven. Continuity error? Given how odd that scene suddenly felt, and what the doctor was saying, I really doubt it. I think that's intentional, and there's something very nifty going on with time!

And lastly, remember Sally Sparrow? Throughout Blink, I really feel like she must have looked into the eyes of one of the weeping angels. So either she didn't, or right now she's dead.



Next week: Vampires! In Venice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home