Sunday, June 26, 2011

Cars 2: Pixar's Now 12 For 12



Ever since I was thoroughly unimpressed by the trailer for Wall-E, and then wholeheartedly impressed by the feature film, I've given pixar the benefit of the doubt. I saw the original Toy Story in theaters, and a few of its sequels on DVD, but I can't say I've been a true pixar fan until that lovable robot came onto the screen. Since then, I can't wait for pixar's new installment every year. And their pre-film shorts.

Pixar topped themselves last year with TS3, and it's probably a bar that won't be beat anytime soon. Part of that is nostalgia for the older movie, and another part is that it catered to people with my age and my mentality: realizing that you're growing older, yet all you want to truly be is a kid again. While most pixar films make you feel like a kid again, TS3 made you actually want to be a child, especially that scene with Bonnie playing with her toys.

This year, pixar released a sequel to their arguably lowest film to date, Cars. But pixar's lowest is better than most films out there. I think the original may have appealed more to kids, but on a repeat viewing on blu-ray recently, it was actually a very enjoyable film. I wasn't particularly excited about C2, but given that it's pixar, they got the benefit of the doubt. The pre-film short was a treat, picking up from TS3's ending. There were not major plot developments, just a nice story with the toys all to themselves. It was enough to cause an unexplained emotional reaction.

C2 itself was a wonderful movie. It started in 007 style, with Finn McMissile (an instant favorite for me, just like Mr. Prickepants) spying on some no good lemons. Some reviews for C2 were negative, stating that barely any time was spent in Radiator Springs. To me, this was actually a benefit. I like Radiator Springs, but that's somewhat been there, done that. The TS movies always took us to new locales, so why shouldn't C2? Seeing the different countries, and the unique pixarian ways of depicting those countries, was wonderful. I will admit, once Mater was captured and went to Italy, there was a bit of a slow dip in the film. But it definitely picked up once they reached England (London 2012 hype alert!), and the final action scenes was up there with pixar's best action scenes, including the fights in The Incredibles. And right at the start, when we were reaquainted with all the cars from Radiator Springs, somehow I felt really happy to see them all again.

I don't know what the reviewers of this film wanted. Pixar is quality, and continues to remain so. Maybe they need to get in touch with their inner kid a bit more. Pixar is arguably 12 for 12 now. I didn't get the preview for Brave at my showing, although I did get the very well-done 3D intro to The Lion King. But, just based on the unique teaser poster, I can't wait for Brave. But pixar, when's that Incredibles sequel coming our way?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home