Saturday, March 31, 2012

"Game Of Thrones" Recap: "Baelor" And All Before It

So, "Game of Thrones" has reached its peak, with the death of a beloved character. I've been watching it on blu-ray, and it has been quite enjoyable. Knowing the story, it's always a bit uncertain how a book will translate to film. Some both hit and miss, as in the "Harry Potter" films. When they miss ("Order of the Phoenix," most of "Half-Blood Prince," and arguably "Prisoner of Azkaban") they really miss; when they succeed, they hit the tone and overall presence of the book so well, like the last two. Some serve as very good supplements to the book, but not fantastic films in their own right, like "The Hunger Games."

So where does GOT fit? I think it's a very well-done adaptation of the film thus far, with one episode to go, which captures the pacing, and complex weavings between characters very well. The book was quite detailed, so I don't recall if much was really missed, but I feel like they really took the essential parts of the novel and put it to film. But it doesn't feel rushed, and it doesn't feel like a cliff notes version of the film; it feels right.

This episode, "Baelor," was a particularly important one. Someone loses a head, some crazy stuff happens in a tent, labor pains, an the onset of war. The end was particularly well done; we didn't see the aforementioned head depart its body. We instead hear the noise, and see the reaction of his daughter, Arya, one of my favorite characters.

The parts with Dany felt a bit quick, but it needed to be done. I felt like Khal Drogo was sicker for longer in the book, but they showed it well enough here. And the wall scenes are done well, although as in the book, I find them boring. Just like Klingon stories in "Star Trek: The Next Generation." I totally forgot Aemon was actually a Targaryen; and I don't think I ever realized that Mormont who's with Dany was Mormont of the night's watch's son.

This is what the show does right. It boils down those things that can get lost in the grand scope of the book, and makes it much more evident, but not by throwing random stuff in your face. Something "Prisoner of Azkaban" could've taken a page from; still sucks that they never mentioned who created that marauder's map!

I can't wait for the next and last episode! Then I have to finish "Catching Fire," and maybe "Mockingjay," and then speed through "A Clash of Kings" so I can watch GOT season 2 before any spoilers! Because last time, I totally knew about the dragons and about the death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home