Thursday, March 22, 2012

Westeros, HBO-style

So, I finally started watching "Game of Thrones," which actually came out last year on HBO. I wanted to read the novel first, which is actually part one of a larger series called "A Song of Fire and Ice." There were so many rave reviews of the HBO series, which led me to read the book.

I'm now five episodes into the series, and overall, they've done a good job condensing the dense, complex nature of the novel into film. The relationships between the different characters, and between the families as a whole, is made somewhat understandable. I rewatched the first episode with my friend, and he was able to follow the plot. I feel like, if I didn't read the book, I'd not find the show as interesting.

Tyrion is likely the most likeable character in the book, and Peter Dinklage carries that through to the show. Westeros overall doesn't seem as breathtaking with soaring landscapes as "The Lord of the Rings," which is likely due to the lower budget. However, the opening credits are stellar. The opening theme, by the composer from the first "Iron Man," has a subtle, epic feel to it. And the interactive map is so innovative, and done so that it looks like the map has a little factory underneath churning these buildings. I also like how the credits change as the story progresses; when Catelyn bring Tyrion to the Eerie, the opening credits show the Eeyrie on Westeros.

My main criticism thus far is the amount of nudity shown. Especially in the first episode, such as the scenes with Tyrion in the brothel, and Viserys's first scene with Daenerys. It was wholly unnecessary in my opinion, and detracted from the show's quality. That being said, it's still a fun show to watch, well done, and I look forward to seeing how they conclude this season, especially with those dragons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home