Monday, May 07, 2012

Jaded

It's rare that I write on the blog about something non-entertainment. Because that's what I love, and what I love to think about and write about, but sometimes things happen that make me angry. I'm no fan of internal medicine, but there are some points I don't want to reach. I didn't want IM to change me when I first started, but I feel it has made me more jaded, maybe a bit more annoyed. But still, there are things that cross the line. Today, in the CCU, we had a patient code and die. During the code, some family, including a PA brother-in-law, asked to come in. This patient was morbidly obese, and came after a heart attack from a different hospital, intubated, with a poor prognosis. We coded her three times, and when the PA asked to come in, someone from our team said no. Fair enough; those are the rules. But after we stopped the code and she passed, one of our team members started saying things about her weight, something about her being a whale, about if they loved her how did they let her get like this. Look, I get it, she did this to herself. But now she's dead. Fat or thin, a person is a person. Do I get annoyed when patient's come with chronic issues they likely caused themselves? Of course, but this lady is dead. When the family started bawling outside the CCU, one team member remarked about how loud it was. They just lost someone close to them, this was a person, and people are losing sight of that. Is just sad, that after she was gone, someone could go in and still criticize her for being overweight. It is bordering on disgusting personality-wise to me, and I don't know why it upset me that much today, but it did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home