Monday, February 25, 2013

85th Annual Academy Awards: The Review

Another Oscar year come and gone, and it was a fantastic one. So many good films, many of which I saw beforehand, and a few I was introduced to because of the nominations. Overall, in the films I predicted, I had a success rate of 7/19. Terrible! I didn't expect Waltz to win so soon after his previous win, also in a Tarantino film. I also didn't expect Tarantino himself to win. I should've predicted Life of Pi for cinematography. The Lincoln win for production design was also a surprise. Overall, though, the major awards were safe. Ang Lee deservedly won, I think, for best director. Argo came as no real surprise. Neither did the acting awards, including Lawrence. McFarlane was a surprisingly funny host. The guy is funny in his actual work, but the oscars have a way of un-funnying people, and somehow he was able to keep his style and still make it work. Even smaller touches, like when he said Streep needs no introduction, and then immediately walked off stage. Overall, a very successful host, although opinion on him seems to be split. The Kirk segment was also excellent. And his song about nudity in film? Hilarious. A good night overall, with some decent speeches: Ang Lee, Day-Lewis. The countdown to the 86th oscars begins!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home