Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Return Of The Lion King



Hakuna matata! The Lion King roared back into theaters, banking nearly $30 million, 92% of that from 3D screenings. Was it earned? Most certainly. The 3D effects were stellar; that shot of Zazu flying to Pride Rock at the film's opening was stunning. Just was with pixar's 3D films, the 3D in this film wasn't in your face, but also was present enough to add a true depth to the film. As a result, you got twice the bang for your buck: a nostalgic return to the original film, with a twist to make it feel slightly new.

This film ages well. It's odd seeing a cartoon on the big screen, in the age of pristine CG animation. However, the characters, plot, and music carry this film as it did back in 1994. Scar's takeover, the intro to Timon and Pumbaa, and Simba's return was a joy to watch on the big screen.

The Lion King has a special place in my heart. I remember my father coming to pick my up from my cousin's home in Waterbury to go see the movie. I can't recall who saw it with me aside from him, but I remember it being a big enough experience for me, that my love for the film carries through to this day. The epic storyline, much moreso than other recent disney movies (or most pixar films, as well) especially appealed to me. The coup of a government and it's eventual return to glory is a classic theme among many movies; for me, The Lion King and Star Wars appeal to me for that same basic plot. Rafiki is Yoda; Simba is Anakin without the whole dark side deal; Threepio and Artoo are Timon and Pumbaa. Jar Jar thankfully isn't quite in The Lion King.
It's not totally comparable, of course, but there are definite similarities.

I remember seeing the broadway show many years ago, when it was still on that main block of Times Square. The animals moving through the aisles, Rafiki singing out the beginning of "Circle of Life," young Simba switching into old Simba right before the intermission; it was a thrilling experience. I saw it again about a year ago, in it's new location a bit more north on Times Square. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much, probably because I had seen it before. But that first time was stellar; probably the best broadway experience I've ever had. If I recall right, my uncle was supposed to see it with us that day, but I think there was a problem with the number of tickets or something, so all I remember is my mom, sister, and I being there. Maybe someone else was there too. Either way, it's a memory I definitely cherish.

I feel like The Lion King has been with my my entire life, and unlike other things which I grew up with but outgrew (especially Power Rangers, also TMNT), it still appeals to me so much to this day. I'm glad I was able to see it in theaters, and I can't wait to experience it on blu-ray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home