Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oscar Watch: "A Better Life"

"A Better Life"
Directed by Chris Weitz
Starring: Demian Bichir, José Julián
Nominations: Best Actor

"A Better Life" is a film about one immigrant's struggle to make it in America. Demian Bichir played such a believable, heartfelt character, I wanted him to win the oscar just because he had such a hard life. Of course, the character had a hard life, not him necessarily, but it was so believable, I felt he was the character. The movie itself was very well done. The acting was on point, and I really felt sympathetic for these characters. Even Santiago, who stole the truck likely just to help his own family. I see people like this in our clinic often, and this movie gave me a greater appreciation for the hardships they have. On SI we have places where these workers wait to get picked up for a days job. And here I am complaining about my work. I don't realize how blessed I am, with such a good family life and upbringing, never in want of anything really. Such a well made movie that can make one reflect on the plight of these immigrant workers, while simultaneously highlighting the privilege we have of living here, comfortably.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home